- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: HealthCare Services
- Post Date: 06/22/2022
- Website: www.somatus.com
- Company Address: 1861 International Dr, McLean, Virginia 22102, US
About SomatusSomatus partners with leading health plans, health systems, nephrology and primary care groups to provide integrated care for patients with or at risk of developing kidney disease. As the market leader in value-based kidney care, Somatus’ vertically integrated clinical services and technology delay or prevent disease progression, decrease avoidable hospital utilization, improve quality and care coordination, and increase the use of home dialysis modalities and rates of kidney transplantation.
This position will be focused on high needs Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and End-Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD) populations that face multiple challenges, from accessing resources to adhering to a physician’s treatment plan. The CHW-Patient Advocate will work as an extension of the clinical care team, specifically under the guidance of RN Care Manager and act as an advocate guiding them through their care needs. The individual taking this role will manage his/her caseload through in-person, telephonic and electronic means of communications and coordination. The Patient Advocate will be the first and primary representative of Somatus to our members. He/she will be the key holder of the patient relationship and trust and will be responsible for building this relationship. He or she will be tasked as the person that schedules the initial wellness exam and care management assessment meeting with Somatus clinicians. After an individual care plan is developed, will be the person that facilitates connecting and scheduling the many resources within and beyond Somatus to the patient (including the various members of our care team as well as PCPs, Nephrologists etc). The Patient Advocate will also be involved in the community to “plug in” the patient with others and help facilitate their overall wellbeing. This position is a market-based position.
- Works under the guidance of physicians and/or a nurse care manager.
- Follow-up with health management plans and goals.
- Establish positive, supportive relationships with participants and provide feedback.
- Conduct an initial triage assessment to help align patients with the most appropriate program in
accordance with program guidelines.
- Documents their activities in the care coordination platform, including care plan activities conducted.
Engages with patients who need assistance with self-care needs in addition to what a nurse care manager
can provide via phone, such as:
- Address language and cultural barriers to care management and self-care.
- Coach and guide the patient to meet both personal and clinical goals.
- Schedules provider appointments on behalf of their patients.
- Accompanies patients to their appointments when needed.
- Reminds patients of their upcoming appointments.
- Helps patients access community and government-based services, including possibly filling out paperwork for the patient.
- Helps to teach the caregiver about symptom response plans.
- Arranges transportation.
- Facilitates closing gaps in care by educating patients about preventive monitoring and working with physician practices to schedule diagnostic testing.
- Assists patients with enrolling to access educational videos.
- Participates in the integrated care team meetings.
- Act as the patient advocate and support the member through their patient journey starting with initial outreach.
- Conduct telephonic outreach to members within designated geographic area to introduce the Somatus program and encourage enrollment to build their patient caseload.
- Conduct door-to-door engagement outreach for patients with telephonic barriers.
- Support NP and RNCM care team members through facilitating in home telehealth visits with patients.
- Utilize motivational interviewing techniques to encourage patients to make behavioral changes.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Patient Engagement
- Care Setting Transitions
- Monthly Goal completion as set by the RNCM
- Patient Success – as measured by no/reduced hospital or ER visits on a monthly basis
- Experience working with Medicare, Medicaid or Special Needs populations.
- Medical Assistant, Licensed Practical Nurse, Engagement Specialist or Community Health Worker Experience.
- Ability to connect with people and understand the challenges they face.
- Ability to use a range of outreach methods to engage individuals and groups in diverse settings.
- Well connected to the community and resources within the community they will serve.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills demonstrating respect and cultural awareness during interactions with clients.
- Ability to travel throughout the assigned region and comfort with conducting home visits (50-75% same day travel).
- Great motivator
- Organized Coach
- Outgoing / positive personality
- Experience working with patients with chronic and behavioral health needs.
- Demonstrated success in working as part of a multi-disciplinary team including communicating and working with Physicians and Registered Nurses.
- Proven experience with engaging patients in making healthy behavior changes.
- Proven skills in navigating the health systems and making necessary linkages in order to meet specific needs.
- Experience working with Electronic Medical Records and other documentation platform.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Our priority is the health and safety of our members, colleagues, partners, and community. Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination is required for employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodations consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the company. All requests for proof of vaccination or for exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be subject to any limitations stipulated by current state and/or federal laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Somatus, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.